Wednesday, November 05, 2008

today was alright

I went to the first swim practice of the season. I forget how much I like the sport during the off-season. I've been putting it off and I don't know why.

I'm excited that Obama was elected. It gives me hope for this country. My one friend was really negative about the whole thing, like, "it doesn't matter who won because nothing will be done." I just think that's the wrong attitude to have. No one's perfect, we don't have superheroes. We can have hope. We have to have hope. Why live in America without it? We are given a chance to choose. And even if you don't like either of the choices, there is always a lesser evil, no matter what. I don't believe that there isn't. So what if they can't manage all they've promised to do? Who can? Who does?

On one side it seems reasonable to hold Presidents to a higher standard than other people, but truly they're only human. It's human to make mistakes. It's human to be unable to complete everything. They aren't superhuman.

Another friend of mine said, "I hope Obama's a good president. I hope I'm not disappointed." I think this is a better view. To have hope for the future. To have a bit of confidence in who is leading the country. I don't know what else you can have.

No comments: